Freelance Science Writer; Remote, Sep 2015 – Present
- Work with websites and print publications to produce news, opinion, and feature pieces about science and policy. Past clients include Nature, LiveScience, and Upworthy.
Writer at Upworthy.com and GOOD.is; Remote, Jan 2016 – Jan 2018
- Led the company’s science coverage, writing and pitching breaking news, features, and long-form pieces daily, garnering over 14 million unique pageviews overall with industry-leading engagement.
- Crafted story packaging, such as headlines, subheads, thumbnails, and sharetext. Found, licensed, or created visuals with programs such as Adobe Photoshop.
- Served as a go-to science resource for writers, editors, collaborations, and upper management, often using my expertise and data analysis to advise on social media trends, engagement, framing, and partner campaigns.
Deputy Editor at City University London; London, England, Sep 2014 – Sep 2015
- Proposed, built, and launched a graduate program website dedicated to coverage of science in the developing world.
- Managed and edited a team of four staff writers as well as writing and creating news features, videos, and radio pieces of my own.
Marketing Content Specialist at Genelex; Seattle, WA, Feb 2013 – Sep 2014
- Wrote the vast majority of all copy for the entire company’s marketing, as well as writing newsletters, book proposals, and helping plan marketing campaigns.
- Translated highly technical drug-drug and drug-gene interaction information into clearly written prescribing advice for an online database.
- Taught genetics to lay staff in regular monthly meetings.
Intern at BBC Radio 4’s Inside Science and Science in Action podcasts; London, England, Jan 2015
- Researched potential interviewees, conducted pre-show interviews, wrote episode and section summaries, and assisted in the recording booth
Intern at The Guardian’s Observer Tech Monthly; London, England, Apr 2015
- Rounded up experts, investigated potential leads for future stories, created a Vine to announce the new issue, and wrote a brief piece about moose disappearances
Education Intern at The Clouded Leopard Project; Tacoma, WA, June – Sep 2011
- Updated a worldwide clouded leopard database, updated and redesigned the project website, wrote research summaries, and acted as an interpreter at the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium
Masters in Science Journalism, with distinction
City University London in London, United Kingdom, January 2016
Bachelors in Biology
University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Washington, United States, May 2011